Saturday, January 21, 2012

Keep them out of slam

At the club yesterday, we had a solid game (54%), but not enough to scratch.

Here was one of the problem hands where I was West. Because the club hasn't uploaded the hand results yet, I can't see what happened at other tables.  From my point of view, everything looks so ... routine.  Why would 6H making 6 on this hand be a zero?


What am I missing?  Should I have bid 4NT over 1H to show the two-suited minors? That might have made it harder for them to find their cold slam.  Sacrificed in 7C?

5 comments:

  1. 2C, 2NT (not 4NT), and double are each reasonable calls from West, but I don't see how that would stop North from bidding keycard. I suspect that other Souths did not open (and I know I would not open either) and that was just your bad luck.

    Sacrificing would not be my choice as East, either. I would not be at all sure that the field gets to slam and I would not be surprised if the doubled set in clubs exceeds the value of the opponents' game (as it does here), and so I would just pass and take my chances that the opponents had overbid.

    Tough luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose that could be an explanation.

      If South passes, I bid 1C:

      P - 1C - 2C (5-5 majors)

      and partner would now have to bid 5C to stop them, but this is a more likely explanation.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked it up, there were no sacs at the club. Everyone else peacefully took +480. I think the only possible explanation is that it indeed started P-1C/D and maybe N got nervous that S might have nothing and then 5H is too high.

    (I'd probably open your hand system conform with 1D to be able to show both suits after 1C-1H/1S/1NT.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a 24-point slam which, while you might expect many experts to reach it, I would be surprised to find even half getting there "at the club." As Jeff pointed out, you were unlucky. That's bridge.

    ReplyDelete