Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A high-stakes gamble goes awry

The STaC results from the Monday game are in, and we missed winning the district by 2%, which means that this high-stakes gamble on the last round was worth 4 masterpoints. I held:
S
South
xxx
9xxx
AJxx
xx

This was the auction:
W
West
N
Pard
E
East
S
Me
1NT1
Pass
Pass
2
Dbl2
Pass
?
(1) 12-15
(2) takeout with a good 14 or 15 points

What would be your call?

For me, it was a tough decision. Partner might have 4 spades and 3 diamonds for his double. In which case, 2S is the right call. Or he might also have only 3 spades and 4 diamonds in which case 3D is the right call. Finally, it appears from my 5 points that the points are evenly divided and no 2-level contract may make. Were we trading a +50 for a -50?

I think I had convinced myself. This was going to be a high-stakes gamble: +100 or -470. A matchpoint top or a matchpoint bottom. I passed.

Alas, 2H was cold on the hand as the cards lay:
.
N
Pard
Qxx
Ax
K109xx
AQx
.
W
West
Kx
KQxxxx
Qx
Kxx
Lead: 10
E
East
AJ10xx
J
xx
Jxxxx
.
S
Me
xxx
9xxx
AJxx
xx
.
We got 2 diamonds, 2 clubs and a heart (yes, if I had arranged to give myself a club ruff, we could have beaten it). 2H doubled and made was a matchpoint zero. We had been at 72% heading into the last round; the zero dropped us to 68%.  68% was enough to win our 9-table club game, but we needed 70% to win the district.

2S, which would have been my second choice, doesn't look like a picnic either and -150 would also have been a bottom.  3D goes down only one, and -50 would have been a top, since most pairs were in 2H making for -110.  2Hx and down 1 for +100 would also have been a top.

1 comment:

  1. I would have bid 3D with your hand. You haven't really seen the downside of the negative double by weak notrump opener until you are, on this auction, dealt a weakish hand with 3=4=3=3 distribution. Here at least you held a side four card suit.

    That having been said, I wonder if you would have found the winning (the district) defense had your partner led a count diamond instead of he DT.

    ReplyDelete