Monday, April 15, 2013

A first time for everything

No mishap, really.

But just wanted to celebrate my first squeeze with y'all since I've been waiting for this for a long time.  I was North on this deal. Watch West (West was a robot, so it is okay to gloat) get slowly squeezed (Click Next to see the play):



I realized that this was turning into a squeeze only after West had shown up with 2 spades and 4 clubs. From that point on, I was playing for this end position with the heart being led from dummy (South).
.
Board: 1
Vul: N-S
Dlr: North
N
North
K
Kx
9
.
W
West
Jxx
10
Lead: 4
E
East
xx
Qx
.
S
South
x
A10x
.
Now, West has to throw away a diamond (if he throws a club, my 9 is good). At that point, I lead the King of diamonds and a small diamond.  As it turned out, West had both the QJ of diamonds, but the squeeze would have operated as long as East could have started out with only 2 diamonds.

But could he? That meant he would have 5 hearts and 4 spades. I have had very poor success with the NT leads recommended by Bird and Anthias since real declarers do not play double-dummy. However, robots simulate deals on similar principles and had I not read their book, I would not have even played for that split.


No comments:

Post a Comment