Sunday, June 2, 2013

Stretches sometimes work

Imagine that you are playing the final of a 3-session kiddies bracket knockout (average masterpoints: 500) at a sectional tournament. After 12 boards, you go to compare with your team-mates and find that you are down 53 imps. What is your strategy now?

We were the team that was up by 53 imps at the half. The opponents apparently decided to stretch to bid every game and slam in sight. Most of these games and slams didn't make and so we ended up winning huge.

After 24 boards, this was the only board that we lost imps on.
W
Pard
Ax
KQxx
Kxx
Kxx
Lead: ♠8 
E
Me
J10x
Jx
AQxxx
Axx

At our table, the auction went:
W
Pard
N
North
E
Me
S
South
11
1
22
Pass
33
All Pass
(1) 2+ diamonds, 13-15 if balanced, 10-15 if unbalanced
(2) 8-12 points, 5+ diamonds, non-forcing
(3) 14-15 points, 3+ diamonds

We play 10-12 NT in first seat, so with a 15 point balanced hand, partner opens 1D and then rebids 1NT or 3H.  Over the overcall, we play negative free bids, so I decided to bid 2D, non-forcing (I need 13+ points to force game).  Partner felt that NT would play better from my side if I had the Queen of spades.  After his 3D bid,  I couldn't see 11 tricks in diamonds and my 3-card spade suit didn't look appealing.  So, I passed.

I got the expected spade lead, took the ace and immediately led a heart to my Jack and another heart to the king.  They got their heart ace and spade king, but that was all, since I was able to ruff a spade in dummy, pull trumps and discard a club on the queen of hearts. 11 tricks are there after all and there is no defense to beat it.

At the other table, where the opponents were stretching, the bidding went:
W
West
N
Teammate
E
East
S
South
1NT1
22
33
Pass
54
(1) 15-17
(2) natural
(3) 5+ diamonds, no spade stopper (Lebensohl, fast denies)
(4) stretch? or logical?

Were we just unlucky on this board or is this a game that should have been bid?

No comments:

Post a Comment